Vegan “beef” wellington with mushrooms
For 4 persons
- 1 roll of vegan puff pastry
- 325 g of mixed mushrooms
- ½ red bell pepper
- Fresh Italian herbs mix (thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano)
- 2 tbsp balsamic reduction
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 2 packages of Vegafit Burgers
- 2 red onions – in half moons
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Red wine sauce
- 30 grams of baking and roasting margarine
- 2 shallots – shredded
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme and 2 sprigs of sage from the Italian spice mix
- 1 clove of garlic – finely chopped
- 200 ml of red wine
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
Method of preparation
- Cut the onions into half rings, chop the garlic, dice the bell pepper and cut the mushrooms into slices.
- Remove the thyme and oregano from the twigs, finely chop the rosemary needles and roughly tear the sage.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, rosemary, sage, soy sauce and balsamic reduction and simmer for another 5 minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated. Allow the mixture to cool and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with baking paper and roll out the puff pastry. If you want to decorate the wellington, you can now cut a part of the dough (from the bottom) and lay it aside.
- Spread half of the mushroom mixture over the middle (in the width) of the puff pastry. Then lay the burgers flat on top. Divide the rest of the mushroom mixture over the burgers.
- Fold the sides a few centimeters to the middle and press lightly, also fold the top and bottom over the filling. Then carefully turn the wellington so that the seam is at the bottom.
- Carve the wellington diagonally so that the moisture can escape during baking.
- Optional: create shapes with the dough that is withheld (leaves, stars, Santa Claus ;-)). You can do this with a mold for cookies or you can turn it into something beautiful yourself. Place the dough shapes on the top of the wellington and press them lightly.
- Mix 1 tbsp of olive oil and agave syrup. Coat the top of the wellington with a brush. Bake the wellington in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the red wine sauce: melt the margarine and fry the shallots and garlic in it. Add the tomato puree and stir well. Add the spices and pour over the red wine. Let it boil down until the alcohol has evaporated. Pour in the stock and let it cook until the desired thickness is achieved. Pour the sauce through a strainer.
Slice the wellington and serve with the red wine sauce. Delicious with potatoes from the oven and grilled vegetables.
Enjoy your meal!